Monday, December 28, 2009

What was the WORST pre-wedding marriage advice that you have ever received?

Not in response to a specific problem, but rather general advice about how your future marriage should work to be successful.





I don't necessarily mean a joke or a malicious comment (although you can include those if you wish).





I'm looking for well-meaning advice given by someone who sincerely wanted to help that just turned out to be flat-out wrong.





What made the advice so terrible?





Did you KNOW that it was terrible advice at the time, or did you try it out first?What was the WORST pre-wedding marriage advice that you have ever received?
';Never for any reason refuse to have sex if your husband wants to.';





We didn't try it out, it sounded like horrible advice from the get-go. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I agree to when my heart isn't fully in it but I think it'd cause me to really resent my husband if I had an absolute rule that I always had to say yes. We try to meet each other's needs in that department but we each give each other the ability to say they're too tired and maybe some other time.What was the WORST pre-wedding marriage advice that you have ever received?
My annoying MIL: ';Set your wedding budget and then do your guest list, because this is the one area where you can't make cuts';.





Fortunately, I saw this for the manipulation it was, because I wanted no more than 50 and then have a top-class event, and she was thinking more like 200, most of whom were people I don't know or can't stand.





I told my dear fiance that he needed to find a way to get across to her that I welcomed her feedback, but only in those rare cases where it was specifically sought :)
';The man should be the head of the household.';





No, I didn't try it first - I specifically chose a wife who I knew to be capable of being equals with me. It's terrible advice, because it presumes that women are somehow inherently less capable than men, a presumption I reject.
What kind of lingirie to wear and how often to have sex. I was so hurt when my husband wasn't thrilled about my outfits or was too tired to be with me from working. People think marriage is ALL about sex, and it's not. It's a key part, but I had to learn what my husband actually liked and what was reasonable for us so that we could grow together. We laugh about it now.
My mother told me, ';What about your ex? You need to tell him you're getting married.'; My answer to that was, ';What about your ex's? Hell you've had 4 of them and did you tell your husband you lived with all of them before you married him and that they were all married men? Huh? Did you???';


We all know damn well she didn't.
I had people write advice on cards and after the wedding we looked at them all. I actually had a lot of good advice then his buddies putting things like ';let him hang out with us'; lol I made a scrapbook with them.





Didn't really get anything just awful.
';Always have an exit plan ready. A savings. A place to go.';





I never took it seriously. This was from a woman married 5 times who obviously plans for divorce before she even marries.
';If he wants sex, give it to him. And if you have to, just lay there, I do sometimes';





That's what his mother told me!
live your life the way your husband lives his.. if he steals and lies to make a living then steal with him.. Bull!!!
  • cream tones
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment