Saturday, January 23, 2010

How does marriage change a relationship?

I'm not asking for any other reason than just because I am curious. I keep hearing people say (mainly on tv,example: Ricki Lake) that marriage isn't just a continuation of seeing each other and dating but that EVERYTHING changes. Now I know some things will obviously change, and the couple must be committed but I can't really see how getting married isn't just 'the next step', which is what a program I was watching said.How does marriage change a relationship?
I was with my husband for 8 years before we were married. We never lived together but saw eachother everyday. I am now married to him for 3.5 years and I dont think it changed everything. I think the only thing it did was bring us closer. I love him more than anything in the world. Marriage isn't for everyone, but it is wonderful!!How does marriage change a relationship?
It does change things but not in a negative way. You become life partners when you get married whereas, when you date, you still keep separate lives. But marriage is work. People tend not to tell you that. You have to care for your marriage to keep it interesting and functional. You also have to be able to ride the ups and the downs that will inevitable come up. If you get lazy or complacent, it is going to go bad REALLY fast. I've been married for almost 17 years and it has not always been easy or fun but we made a commitment and we love each other, so we work it out. If you aren't up to the challenge, then don't get married. It's about more than a fancy wedding and a nice dress.
I was happy to date and be in a relationship with my now husband, we pretty much lived together beforehand. I considered our marriage way more than a formality, it made be realize how much my husband loves me that he is willing to make a commitment to me for the rest of our lives, we are much more relaxed now that we are married, more trusting (not that trust was ever an issue), It strengthened the relationship I would say
i don't think marriage should change a relationship only that you have made the commitment to be ONLY with each other, but i wouldn't make a big fuss about it honestly, keep being yourself like you guys have always been and don't let that paper change who you are or your expectations especially if things are going just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment