Thursday, May 13, 2010

I married my husband in a church in Cyprus, is the marriage legal in the UK?

At the time we could not afford to do the civil ceromony as well and planned to do it later. We are no longer together and I wondered if i need a divorce.I married my husband in a church in Cyprus, is the marriage legal in the UK?
All overseas marriages are recognized in UK ';IF'; the marriage was conducted according to the laws of the country where it was held. So you need to find out whether your marriage is officially recognized in Cyprus or not. If it is, then it is also valid in UK, provided you have a valid marriage certificate also.


You can also contact your local citizen advice bureau and they will guide you further.


In case you find out that your marriage is valid, then you do need to get a divorce. If you are a UK national and domiciled here or live here permanently, then you can apply to your local family court for divorce. It doesn't matter if your husband is in UK or not.


Remember ! That UK law states that you must me married for at least one year, before you can apply for a divorce.


Hope this helps.I married my husband in a church in Cyprus, is the marriage legal in the UK?
Go see a pope..


You wouldn't want to get married again with them telling you that your all ready married lol

No comments:

Post a Comment